Thursday, January 20, 2011

Little black chicken sunbathing

Chickens like to sun bath and stretch out their wings - funny when they do it in a row and block each others sun. Still not sure that this chicken is female despite picking the one with the smallest comb. It likes trying to fly and skitters around, will try to chase birds. A hawk swooped on it - was really interesting to see their behaviour change for a while afterwards - running low and fast between tree patches. Unfortunately it always going to be a risk, and they do really enjoy free ranging, catching bugs and scratching up. I also have only had one tick on me (and one on Ruby chook) despite even more roos and wallabies hanging around so I think they are eating those too. Since the dog attack I don't leave them out when I'm away anymore - although once little black refused to get into cage so spent the weekend roosting on top of it and survived. You can also see how muddy it got - I have three mats on top of each other at Vinnies door but still the mud comes through.

No comments:

Post a Comment